11 Mar Stem Cells Treatment for Ankylosing Spondylitis in Sarasota Florida
Stem Cells Treatment for Ankylosing Spondylitis
Ankylosing Spondylitis is a form of spondyloarthritis, a chronic, inflammatory arthritis and autoimmune disease. It mainly affects joints in the spine and the sacroiliac joint in the pelvis, and can cause eventual fusion of the spine.
This is a systemic rheumatic disease, meaning it affects the entire body. Approximately 90% of AS patients express the HLA-B27 genotype, meaning there is a strong genetic association. However, only 5% of individuals with the HLA-B27 genotype contract the disease. Tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF ?) and IL-1 are also implicated in ankylosing spondylitis. Auto antibodies specific for AS have not been identified. Antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibodies ANCA are associated with AS, but do not correlate with disease severity.The association of AS with HLA-B27 suggests the condition involves CD8 T cells, which interact with HLA-B.
- Ankylosing Spondylitis begins with pain in the lower spine and sacroiliac joints with muscle spasm, often spreading to the upper back and neck and improved by exercise.
- Chronic pain and stiffness in the lower part of the spine or sometimes the entire spine with pain referred to one or other buttock or the back of thigh from the sacroiliac joint.
- Inflammation of the eye causing eye pain.
- Fatigue and sometimes nausea.
- Lung fibrosis.
- Escatsia of the sacral nerve root sheaths may occur causing pain and swelling of large limb joints.
Now, such incurable diseases can be treated by Stem Cell Therapy. Where Stem cells are being taken from patient’s own bone marrow, Adipose derived fat stem cells, peripheral blood derived stem cells or Umbilical cord blood-derived & placenta-derived immune rejection free stem cells.
Stem cells are immature, unprogrammed, unspecialised precursor cells that can grow and change to make new cells and tissues. They can transform into about 250 types of specialised cells that make up a human being.
In recent years, scientists have developed a new method for treating autoimmune disease like Ankylosing Spondylitis, with Mesenchymal stem cells implantation. It has several advantages:
- The Mesenchymal stem cells can differentiate into immune cells, repair the immune system, some of them after implantation can repair and replace the damaged cells and tissue.
- The Mesenchymal stem cells can secrete different kinds of cell factors which can withhold inflammatory mediators and cells, repair damaged joints and the synovium, and block the development of the disease effectively.
- There is no risk of a rejection reaction, it is safe and effective and the most important thing is that the stem cells treatment has a very measurable, positive effect.
We hope in future by using the stem cell culture we can produce the artificial vertebrae and can treat the Ankylosing Spondylitis diseases.